I would be lying if I said that I was done thinking about how it could have been, should have been, for my son at school.
We fought. We tried to change things for him, for others; however, things didn’t get any better, they actually got worse.
When I start to go there, back to those hardest days, I remind myself why we chose homeschooling. The relief.
So instead of continuing to rehash the past, I have decided to embrace the positive and share the top ten reasons that I’m glad he is NOT returning to school.
10. No need to clean out the closet and drawers and buy new school shoes and clothes.
9. No packing lunches
8. No backpack filled with endless paperwork
7. No nightly homework
6. No school supply list…need I say more?
5. No worries about eating or not eating breakfast at a specific time. Actually, no schedule that demands when you eat, drink, learn or visit the restroom.
4. No explaining, yet again, the sensitivities, the dairy allergies, the giftedness, the sensory issues, the need for breaks.
3. No more tears, bribes, begging, pleading, frustration when our house first wakes up.
2. No more leaving my son in a place that didn’t understand him and then spending the day, wondering what he was doing, if he was learning, and how much longer could he tolerate it.
1. I know him best and I know what he needs
Today this is my list. I have a feeling that the list will grow and possibly our reasons will change.
Someday, he might return to a classroom. A different place. A better place. Right now, we don’t have to know all the answers and that is the beauty of homeschooling.